Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ikea Cafeteria


Cafeteria Menu for the day

Cafeteria was clear and straight for the point
When the word Ikea is uttered, the words that instantly pop into my head would be Sweden then contemporary yet affordable furniture. Fortunately, there's a lot more to Ikea than the furniture. There's the cafeteria that I love dearly. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about fresh, seasonal produce, not that I'm saying that's not what they serve, but at that cheap price and setup, it gets you thinking. It's frozen food, mate. But I've never had any better frozen food, it's pardonable.  


Swedish meatballs, I'll have you in my belly any time of the day

My personal favorite would be the Swedish Meatballs served with chips, cream sauce, and a lingonberry jam. There's nothing quite like it, ordinary meatballs just don't come close. The meatball is made out of both beef and pork. I'll admit, I'm clueless when it comes to what seasoning they use. The cream sauce is really smooth and oozy. The lingonberry jam gives that sweet and tangy twist that perfectly cuts the cream sauce. 

Pasta with grilled chicken, not a stunner, babe.

There are a couple of other things on the menu like fish & chips, pasta with grilled chicken, gravalax, prawn& egg sandwiches, and the list goes on. For a change, on my last visit,  I tried something different, the pasta with grilled chicken. The sauce was really green, seemed like pureed celery, parsley, chives, and who knows what else. The pasta was overcooked and the chicken was dry- it looked like it had a sunburn. Poor chuck.

It seems to me that we are school tuck shop

My cousin took a stab at the fish and chips, it's not like the typical beer-battered ones that I'm used to. It had  an orange crumb batter. It didn't taste of anything in particular, but it was definitely one of those things that you wouldn't want to have again. Despite these harsh comments, I really have to give them props for supplying good chips and the affordable price.

Next time I'm not trying new things, I'm sticking to what I know and love, Swedish Meatballs. And guess what, you could actually purchase frozen Swedish Meatballs with the matching cream sauce and Lingonberry jam. If you must know, I have some downstairs in the freezer for my lazy days.

See how fresh and vibrant the gravlax looks?

I want to head to Sweden in time for crayfish season and
have crayfish parties with endless shots of vodka

I think Swedish food is beyond interesting, the freshness of it all- the gravalax and crayfish. I love the use of dill as well. It's one of those herbs that is really under appreciated. Jamie Does is a series that is worth checking out, it really ignited my love for Sweden. And maybe, just maybe, I'll take a stab at making my very own Swedish meatballs.

Ikea
1 Oulton Avenue
Rhodes
New South Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...