Thursday, August 19, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes, Yet Another Perfect Brekkie.



These pups are definitely the BEST.

The reason I actually made buttermilk pancakes is because I had some leftover buttermilk from the scones that I made over the weekend. I'm to embarrassed to post my scones simply because I haven't tweaked the recipe enough to my liking! I have a strong feeling that it will actually be up here soon simply because I LOVE MY SCONES with whipped cream and strawberry jam. 

I happened to cook my pancakes a quite right today, a crisp outer layer then chewy inside but not ooey gooey cause that would be sloppy and disgusting. I got the recipe from Tasty Kitchen, and the woman who made this whole concept of sharing recipes is just FANTASTIC. Hands down what I hope to be if ever I become a housewife.(but I really hope I won't become one! NO OFFENSE)

BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
makes 2 greedy servings

2/3 cup all purpose/plain flour
1 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
2 pinches of salt
2/3 cups buttermilk
1 tbsp + tsp butter, melted
1 egg
1/3 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp + 1 tsp milk


-----------------------------
Buttermilk Substitute

1 cup full cream milk
1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice

Combine these two ingredients and let sit for 5-10 minutes. It sure does justice for buttermilk!
----------------------------

Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Separate the egg yolk from white in another bowl.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. I was too lazy to bring out my mixer for this so I simply did it the old fashioned way which took me around 3 minutes. You'll know that stiff peaks are formed once you could hold the bowl with the egg whites above your head! BRAVO.

Mix butter, egg yolks, and vanilla extract in another bowl. Make sure your butter isn't too hot or else you'd end up scrambling your eggs. Once they're well incorporated, stir in your buttermilk.

Whisk the egg white mixture, dry and wet ingredients all together now. It might seem a tad dry at first but it will all come together with a little bit of whisking and muscle.

I find that the best sized pancakes are portioned at 1/4 cup, so that's what I use as measurement when I pour my batter onto my griddle. Swirl around butter in your hot pan, then pour in your batter. Make sure the pan isn't too hot or else your pancakes will be burnt on one side. Flip once bubbles form on the pancake!

I know the measurements and procedures require a fair amount of effort, but the pancakes are well worth it!;)

Serve with butter and maple syrup. I'm a big fan of maple syrup. It's to die for. And once again, I succumbed to the goodness of orange juice. The perfect match in my opinion for these hearty pancakes. Then again, I like pairing OJ with everything.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...