Wednesday, August 25, 2010

a little FIGHT CLUB

I am becoming such a CHUCK PALAHNIUK fan. He is awesome!!! I started with RANT, which is perhaps the best book ever written (but I always say that whenever I finish something new :D ) and now I'm onto Fight Club.


Brad Pitt plus Edward Norton, bringing to life a Palahniuk novel. How could it go wrong?
I have yet to finish the movie (I was not yet enlightened of Palahniuk's genius and thought it was just a blood, gore and testosterone film) but I am UTTERLY loving the book! It was love at first LINE: "Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die."


Now you see how perfect this book is for someone like me (I happen to dream of growing balls!)


Later on, Palahniuk writes:
"What Marla loves...is all the things people love intensely and then dump an hour or a day after. The way a Christmas tree is the center of attention, then, after Christmas you see those dead Christmas trees with the tinsel still on them, dumped alongside the highway. You see those trees and think of roadkill animals or sex crime victims wearing their underwear inside out and bound with black electrical tape."

Is that not poetic, with a capital P? In short-- Marla would have loved the Giving Tree when The Boy had grown tired of it (this is a reference to a famous children's book, duly entitled The Giving Tree). Marla would have loved you when your girlfriend got sick of your face.

And later on, as the narrator gets into the adorable habit of making nutty haikus:

"Watching white moon face
The stars never feel anger
Blah, blah, blah, the end"

You may condemn me as being illiterate and not having a grip on what real canon literature is but I will say it anyway-- this is one of the best poems I've ever read.


If you want to have a taste of Palahniuk's writing before buying one of his books, I recommend you read his internet short story, Guts (this was introduced to me by my friend James) but keep in mind that he is usually more poetic in his novels :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...