Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chocolate Mousse

Say MOUSSE!
How do you get rid of your stress? I either go to the gym and run like a mad man or cook something totally sinful and appropriate. I'll admit I did both, but THIS came first. The whole idea of making a chocolate mousse came from watching Masterchef Australia. Yes, Masterchef!* One of the contestants cooked a dessert comprising a pannacotta and a chocolate mousse. The judges deemed the chocolate mousse was fabulous, and it was "sex on a plate". How appropriate.  My cousin and I were like OOOhhhh, mousse! And almost simultaneously, we decided to make mousse the next day.

After a drink too many [Why do I keep talking about drinks? I totally didn't have drinks!:)] We started making the chocolate mousse. It was easy easier than pie. 

Looking oh so fluffaaay.

Chocolate Mousse
Based on Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything**
Makes 6 servings

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, but I used good quality chocolate
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. User a double boiler over low heat to melt the chocolate and butter together. Right before the chocolate finishes melting, remove it from the stove and mix with a wooden spoon until silky smooth.

2. Once the chocolate mixture is cooled, beat in the egg yolks. Refrigerate.

3. Beat the egg white with half of the sugar until they hold stiff peaks.**** Set aside.

4. Beat the cream with the remaining sugar and vanilla until it holds soft peaks.

5. Stir a couple spoons of the whipped whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten and aerate. Fold the remaining white thoroughly but ever so gently. Fold in the cream. Divide the mix among cups and refrigerate.

As for my mousse, I layered it with some remaining lemon curd***** that I made. Just a thin thin layer to cut through the richness of the chocolate, but not to overpower it in any case. And to serve, I whipped up some cream, and sprinkled it with a few bits of chocolate and lemon zest. 


See the thin thin layer of curd?


*It's only like my favorite show on Aussie telly! I NEVER miss an episode, NEVER. Which means I watch reruns on the web sometimes. Oh well, it's happiness.

**If you're a noob*** at cooking, I would definitely advise you to go get the How to Cook Everything cookbook. As it says on the cover, it's simple recipes for great food. I completely agree with it. It's minimalist cooking at it's peak. 

***An inexperienced person; newbie.

**** A trick to figuring out when they're at the stiff peak stage is holding the bowl above your head. Yes, you've guessed it, it shouldn't splosh on top of your head. 

*****Recipe will be soon posted on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...