Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bourke Street Bakery, Surry Hills

As of the moment, I'm in love with bakeries. In comparison to the Philippines, there's so much more variety in bakeries here- they have so much more to offer. They're uncomplicated, inviting, and rustic. Each time I step into a bakery, it feels like I've stepped into a whole different realm. It's peaceful and I could just stay there, reading a book, eating some delectable bread and sipping a hot cuppa.

My friend and I headed to Bourke Street Bakery at the end of an overwhelming day. We decided to trek instead of catching a bus since we've eaten so much that day. It was nearing 5pm which means the stores are on the verge of closing. We brisk walked all the way to Surry Hills just in time to buy some of their treats. I, for one was excited like no other because I've been dying to try this bakery for the longest time! I've just been to chicken to go alone since I might get lost!

I LOVE THIS PLACE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED

The front of the bakery was plastered with the word BOULANGERIE, a French word that translates to bakery. The place was quite small really, and there weren't many people since they were closing in a couple of minutes. Usually, there is quite a queue! The staff that attended to us was quite cheery and nice. I asked him about the bestsellers of the bakery, he said quite a couple of things, I was staring too intently at the bread and pastries that I just caught brulee tart and lamb sausage roll. And so I ordered a Strawberry Vanilla Brulee Tart, Raspberry Chocolate Mousse, Lemon Curd Tart, Pork & Fennel Sausage Roll, and a Lamb & Harissa Sausage Roll.

Best Brulee Tart Ever
We ate the Strawberry Vanilla BruleeTart right then and there because we couldn't resist. It was love at first bite. It's definitely my favorite among all the tarts that I had. The creme was so silky and smooth, but not runny. There were flecks of vanilla bean in it too. The top shell of glimmering caramelized sugar just gives the tart that extra crunch. My friend commented, he said it was HEAVEN.


Brulee, Mousse, and Lemon Curd
The Raspberry Chocolate Mousse was very dark and full-bodied. I love the fact that they sprinkled chocolate cake crumbs over the top of the tart. The Lemon Curd Tart on the other hand was very sharp and tangy. I was feeling a bit of a pig when I had this. I paired with vanilla ice cream and strawberries- PERFECT HARMONY.

SAUSAGE ROLLS!!


The sausage rolls were fantastic! I adore the Lamb & Harissa Sausage Roll cause it was so fragrant and aromatic! There were heaps of spices plus raisins! It fully exhibited the Moroccan vibe as well! If you ask me, flavor-wise, it resemble the Tunisian Fish Fillet with Rice Pilaf of Cafe Mediterranean Cafe in the Philippines. EPIC. The Pork & Fennel Sausage roll I liked less. The fennel was just too overpowering for me.


The lovely neighborhood, I shall live here on day!
This is my favorite bakery of the moment. It's been named one of the Best in Sydney, and no, it's no overrated. It's really fantastic. I love the location of the bakery as well, it's on a humble street, and the houses are so cute and quaint. I will live there someday. And I'll be going to the organic groceries around the neighborhood and visit the art galleries as well. Oh, too much daydreaming!:)

I can't wait to find time to head to this bakery once again! Probably next week?:)

Bourke Streeet Bakery
633 Bourke Street
Surry Hills
Sydney 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...