Friday, January 7, 2011

What I Cooked for Christmas Eve

So it's the one day I actually pull out all the brakes and cook like a mad woman.

It's obviously the season for it anyway, yea?

S helped me fill up the deviled eggs.
As per request of my sister, deviled eggs. It looks messy, but can you blame a 12 year old for putting her best foot forward? I reckon NOT.

DEVILED EGGS: EGG YOLKS+GOOD QUALITY MAYO+MUSTARD+ANCHOVIES+S&P







And since we all love salads, there was one and a side of garlic shrimp to put on top.


SALAD: LETTUCE+MANGO+THINLY SLICED PEARS+ READY MADE SESAME DRESSING

GARLIC SHRIMP: OLIVE OIL+ LOTSA GARLIC+SHRIMP+ BRANDY (flambe!)


Paprika and Extra Olive Oil on Top
So anyway, I guess it's always nice to have something to dip? Hummus, my definite fave and a hands-down crowd pleaser.

HUMMUS: CHIKPEAS+ TAHINI+ OLIVE OIL+ GARLIC+ S&P


Piled up juicy steaks.

S mashed the potatoes
Everyone loves a juicy steak. Tenderloin steaks with garlic butter and mash potato. What a winner.

STEAK: MARINADE IN STEAK PEPPER & WOODY HERBS.
               COOKING: CONSTANTLY BRUSH WITH GARLIC BUTTER.

**Around 5-6 minutes on each side for medium rare.

GARLIC BUTTER: BUTTER+ GARLIC+ GARLIC POWDER

MASH: POTATOES+ MILK+ BUTTTER+ S&P


Best Squid Ever, a REVELATION.
Just so there's a variety when it comes to the mains, I cooked up some Cripsy Fried Squid.

CRISPY FRIED SQUID: FLOUR+ CORNSTARCH+ FIVE SPICE+ EGG

**Dip in egg before coating with the dry mixture
**Equal amounts of flour and cornstarch
**Score the inside of the squid in a criss-cross pattern to ensure it curls up.
**2 minutes for cooking time ensures tenderness.

As for dessert, I made a panna cotta, and it had some mangoes on top. It wasn't that fabulous that's why I'm leaving it out.

I know, the pictures are a little bit of a disgrace but then I was so busy to style the dishes and take epic pictures since everybody just dug in.

** Obviously there aren't any measurements, it's for you to adjust to your own taste!;)

So dear readers, what did you have for Christmas Eve?

Squid on FoodistaSquid

1 comment:

  1. the crispy squid looks like a great appetizer.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this squid widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes with squid,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...