Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ho Hung Kee, Hong Kong

So I've been TRYING and TRYING to upload photos of and write a blog about a meal we had at this restaurant called Power Long in Xiamen. The food wasn't great and it was no epic gustatory experience, so I wasn't exactly itching to do it. The good thing is that it seems as if the invisible fairy godmother of 3748miles did not want a blog written about such a dull thing, and so the system kept lagging. Therefore, I've decided to skip it entirely and leave the photos in the bowels of my Mac, never to be published... Hahaha.

ON TO THE GOOD STUFFFFF!!!!!!


Our first stop in HK (yay, HK!!!!) was dinner at Ho Hung Kee.


It's recommended in the 2011 Michelin Guide. Hong Kong food really is the best-- you can get great chow for almost any budget.



Are you ready for the Ho Hung Kee experience?

It was a cold night, and the small, packed restaurant was just so inviting. They were preparing the food from scratch!

Fish congee. EPIC. I love congee. Like crazy.

BEEF. Can you guess who ordered this? I DID. And yes, I really am a beefomaniac!!! This was really TASTY and succulent and perfect. Perfectly fatty, chewy, flavorful.

Broccoli greens with sauce. BEST. VEG. As a child, I used to be a big Veg hater. But that's probably cause I never got to eat veggies like this.

Beef noodles. I am going to be upfront and tell you that this was the #$%^^&* best bowl of noodles ever. EVER EVER EVER. And I am not even into noodles. But this was just SUBLIME. The noodles had this really, really epic texture and were just SO GOOD. SO GOOD.

And of course, we had to order fried wantons, because my little sister loves them as much as I love my beef. They were perfectly crispy, filled with shrimp and pork. YUM! Not the least bit oily or gross.  Crisp and (if "fresh" can ever be used to describe something deep-fried) FRESH!


I'd like to end with my new FAVORITE Song ever (and it has absolutely nothing to do with Ho Hung Kee):

All those days watching from the windows
All those years outside looking in
All that time never even knowing
Just how blind I've been
Now I'm here, blinking in the starlight
Now I'm here, suddenly I see
Standing here, it's all so clear
I'm where I'm meant to be

And at last I see the light
And it's like the fog has lifted
And at last I see the light
And it's like the sky is new
And it's warm and real and bright
And the world has somehow shifted
All at once everything looks different
Now that I see you

I love it so much. I keep singing it, and singing it, and singing it, and singing it. Over and over and over and over! It's getting kind of annoying, since I like to dance around while singing it. HAHAHAHA.

Cheers, 
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...