Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Brunch Puff

The puff pastry didn't do too much of a good job puffing up though. :(
Let's face it, who likes waking up early, specifically, who likes waking up early especially from a good dream? I know I don't. Which is the reason why I often skip breakfast on Sundays.* The meal after breakfast is usually lunch, but my tummy couldn't wait that long, that's why I have brunch instead.

I found some leftover puff pastry in the freezer the other day and I didn't really feel like making something sweet; so, with a few minutes of brainstorming, I came up with The Brunch Puff.


See the layers?
Ricotta, Egg, Mushroom
Spinach and Salmon.
The brunch puff is essentially the things you'd have on your breakfast plate but jazzed up a little bit more.



1. Puff Pastry- Mine was store-bought, cause I'm lazy.** There's absolutely no harm in making your own.

2. Eggs- I scrambled the eggs with a touch of milk. Save a tiny bit to brush over the parcel before shoving it into the oven.

3. Ricotta Cheese- It would be sweet to use say Swiss Cheese or Mozarella, but turns out, Ricotta is the low-fat/healthiest option. It's not bad either, actually, not bad at all!

4. Spinach- Briefly wilted in a pan with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Salmon- With mine, I used smoked salmon which gave that extra kick of saltiness but fresh salmon would be great as well. If you don't have any salmon, feel free to substitute chicken, ham, proscuitto, turkey, whatever- you name it!

6. Mushrooms- I sliced the mushrooms, cooked them with onions and garlic until they pretty much reduced into nothing. Seasoned with thyme, salt, and pepper.

With your puff pastry at room temperature, layer all your components and simply wrap it up. A brush of egg wash on top before you bang it in the oven for I'd say 7-10 minutes at 250C. Just until the crust turns golden, then you're good to go!


There it is- rumbling tummy problem completely solved! Off to the gym now!

Ta and happy eating!



* I have to wake up early on Sundays cause of church. Believe it or not, I do go to church.

** Maybe not so much lazy, it was more of the I need space and equipment issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...